Monday, February 01, 2010

Three things that annoy me about some Flickr's users

I've been spending quite a bit of time on Flickr recently and there are three things that annoy me a lot.
The first one is people that have not made their minds up about how they want their photos to be used or not. First scenario is people that choose the All rights reserved option, write in capital letters that they do not want their photos to be used in any way without their permission and then they leave the option "Blog this". How are they going to react is someone puts one of their photos on their blogs?
Or even worse when they choose one of the Creative Commons option and then under the photo write in capital letters that no one can use (or look at)  that photo under no circumstances whatsoever (I  saw one that threatened to sue anyone who used her photos which all had a CC Attribution  licence).  I only search CC photos and to be honest I don't always read everything that is written underneath because I assume that people know what they are doing when they choose CC.  Very annoying.

The other thing that really annoys me is people who upload vintage postcards, posters, art and illustration that are clearly old enough to be in the public domain or in many cases I know it's in the public domain and place a clear do not touch All rights reserved.   I mean, did you know that Toulouse Lautrec is alive and on Flickr? Unfortunately scanning or downloading  images   do not add enough artistic originality to  make anyone the author, as it says here. Also saving   PD images from the Library of Congress or   Wikimedia Commons and uploading them on Flickr does not make you the author. Just saying.

Third complaint is about galleries. People upload a photo and have the option to allow it to be placed in galleries or not.   I cannot understand while anyone would upload photos on Flickr and not wanting people to see them but it's a free world. But I'm annoyed by a couple of rude messages from users that complained that I had used their photos in my galleries (which are hosted on Flickr, I have not downloaded or stolen their photos), I would not have been able to do it had they not given permission to do so. End of rant.

I would like  to add that most people are pleased when I choose one of their photos for my galleries and I've been receiving many friendly messages and comments.

Posted via email from M F's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment

FriendFeed